It’s not so often you hear about a brand new game being released on a 25+ year old console. We couldn’t be more excited to get our hands on Tanglewood, and after seeing this, I’m sure you’ll be the same. Here’s a little more information from the Tanglewood website.
TANGLEWOOD® is a brand new and original game for the SEGA Mega Drive, to be released on physical cartridge in spring 2018.
Set in the realm of Tanglewood, the game follows a young creature, Nymn, separated from the pack after the sun sets. Unable to get back to the safety of the family’s underground home, Nymn must find a way to survive the night terrors and get to morning. TANGLEWOOD’s world is a dangerous one after dark; guiding Nymn you must use your skills of evasion, traps and trickery to defeat predators.
TANGLEWOOD is a platforming game with puzzle elements, and can be described as a mix of the Mega Drive titles Another World and The Lion King.
- A real 16-bit cartridge release, playable on genuine SEGA consoles
- Mixes fast-paced 2D platforming action with puzzles, special abilities, tricks and traps
- A story woven into the gameplay
- Fluid animations
- Time of day cycle, influencing the types of enemies encountered
- Collectables, secret areas and bonus levels
- Programmed in raw assembly language on original SEGA development hardware
- Also coming to Windows, Mac and Linux
We’re super excited, and wish Matt Phillips the best of luck!
Still learning about the retro world, and sharing my findings as I go. I love writing and I love games!