Will Jonas Neubauer once again hold on to his 7-time Tetris champion title? From across North America, Europe and Asia, players are preparing to partake in one of the most heated Tetris battles in the world of video games – the annual Classic Tetris World Championship (CTWC). On Oct. 20 and 21 in Portland, OR, the 9th annual CTWC, organized by avid fans of the 1989 NES version of the game, comes to the Oregon Convention Center during the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. 2018 competitors will include: returning champions Jonas Neubauer (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017) and Harry Hong (2014), European champion Svavar Gunnar Gunnarsson, Japanese Tetris Grand Master Koryan, and many other players featured in the award-winning documentary Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters.
Entry fee for the CTWC is $20. Entrants can make as many qualifying attempts as time permits. A smaller tournament – Tetris: The Grandmaster – will also take place on Saturday, Oct. 20. For details, prizing and rules for all tournaments, please visit http://thectwc.com/rules/.
CTWC to also include:
- Hot Game Demos: Attendees can demo the all-new game TETRIS® EFFECT by Enhance, Inc., coming to PlayStation®4 on Nov. 9th, including optional support for PlayStation®VR, and is now available for pre-order.
- Prizes Featuring Tetris: Attendees can win prizes, including the Legends Flashback console by AtGames® Digital Media Inc., the Go Retro! Portablehandheld console by Retro-Bit®, and the Tetris® Retro Mini Arcade Gameby Basic Fun!™.
WHERE: Portland Retro Gaming Expo at the Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland, Oregon
The CTWC finals will be livestreamed on Sunday, Oct. 21 at https://www.twitch.tv/classictetris
SCHEDULE: Saturday, Oct. 20
- 10:00 am – 3:45 pm: Qualifying rounds for Classic Tetris World Championship
- 4 pm: Seeds 25-40 will compete in a “Round Zero” to advance to the 32-player tournament bracket Main Event on Sunday
Sunday, Oct. 21
- 10:30 am – 1:00 pm: Classic Tetris World Championship Tournament Early Rounds
- 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm: Classic Tetris World Championship Top 8
- A five-round, 32-bracket seeded tournament tree featuring the top 32 qualifying scores.
- 4:30 pm: Classic Tetris World Championship Award Presentation
About the Tetris® Brand
The Tetris® brand is one of the leading and most distinctive video game brands and franchises in the world. Now entering its 35th anniversary year, the brand continues to be loved globally by people of all ages and all cultures. Billions of Tetris games are played online every year, and over 500 million Tetris mobile games have been downloaded to date. The Tetris brand’s global licensee network includes major video game publishers, including Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, and Sony/GSN Games, as well as many partners in electronics, toys, apparel, lifestyle goods, entertainment and more. Tetris Holding, LLC is the owner of Tetris rights worldwide, and The Tetris Company, LLC is its exclusive licensee. For the latest information about the Tetris brand and Tetris products, please visit www.tetris.com.
Still learning about the retro world, and sharing my findings as I go. I love writing and I love games!